SEPS KNOWLEDGE EXCHANGES
With its SEPS Knowledge Exchange scheme, WISIONS facilitates the mobilisation of knowledge and expertise among energy practitioners and other stakeholders in the field of sustainable energy technologies in the "Global South", with a focus on decentralised energy solutions. You can find examples of SEPS Knowledge Exchange activities in our SEPS project List (see “Exchange” in the title).
Open call for SEPS Knowledge Exchanges 2018 – Deadline 26th February 2018, 4 PM GMT
The first SEPS call of 2018 is open and is aimed at both the focus regions of WISIONS – Latin America and the Caribbean and South/South East Asia. The countries considered for this call are those within the Caribbean, South and Central America, South Asia and South East Asia according to the UN definition.
The target groups for SEPS Knowledge Exchanges are energy practitioners and organisations, together with other stakeholders, in the Global South (south-south exchange). The proposed activities may include the participation of experts and organisations from other global regions, although the focus should be on developing and maximising knowledge and expertise in countries in the target region(s).
Which activities are eligible as SEPS Knowledge Exchange Activities?
The proposed SEPS Knowledge Exchange should allow for interaction between practitioners with significant experience in the implementation of decentralised renewable energy solutions in the target region(s).
SEPS Knowledge Exchange activities should relate to one or more of the following focus areas:
- Capacity-building: strengthening the technical, managerial, communication or other skills of practitioners
- South-South mutual learning: facilitating mutual learning among organisations active in the Global South
- Practice-to-policy exchange: addressing potentials & barriers to specific energy technologies or delivery models to raise awareness and generate policy recommendations
- Advocacy and awareness-raising activities: defining strategies for the effective advocacy of critical topics; creating awareness for specific technologies and/or challenges relating to sustainable energy; implementing and supporting concepts for motivating the local population
- Others: WISIONS is open to creative ideas on how to expand the knowledge base and to strengthen capacities of practitioners as well as of other stakeholders
SEPS Knowledge Exchange proposals must demonstrate a sound and coherent approach that is in accordance with the specific needs and expertise of the organisations involved.
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- a completed SEPS Exchange Application Form 2018 *
- a separate budget plan in EUROS
- a timeline and working plan
*Please DO NOT alter the original pdf document or add additional pages. If you have any problems completing the form, please contact email@example.com
Criteria for supportSEPS Knowledge Exchange proposals should meet the following criteria:
- Focus on knowledge creation, conservation, dissemination and/or capacity-building
- Active involvement of at least one organisation with proven commitment in the field of access to sustainable energy
- Experience in and commitment to one of the proposed regions
- Clear focus on South-South exchange
- Clear definition of the knowledge need(s) and gap(s) addressed
- Clear definition of the expected outputs and outcomes
- Relevance to the general aims of universal access to energy and sustainable development.
Not eligible for support
The following are excluded from SEPS Knowledge Exchange support:
- Installation of technical concepts and delivery models (i.e. projects that aim to implement, test and monitor the operation of technical devices)
- Academic research projects
- Feasibility studies
- Long-term training courses
- ‘North-South’ consultancy and research approaches
- Clean stove dissemination activities
Aspects to consider
The application forms and supporting documents must be submitted in English.
The selected coordinating partner organisations will have to conclude a grant contract with the Wuppertal Institute and must be authorised to issue invoices in order for funds to be transferred.
Why does WISIONS support knowledge exchanges?Most RE technologies are now mature, but the pace of implementation and delivery has not matched the pace of technological development. It is vital to close this gap. For that purpose, exchange of knowledge is a crucial stepping-stone and we consider it to be an essential piece of the puzzle to support the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goal 7, "Access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all", under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Since its foundation, SEPS has provided financial support to 122 projects and exchange activities in around 40 countries around the world. A central finding from the project support is that the success of a project is highly dependent on the capacities of the people involved and on an effective delivery model suitable for the needs of the end users. A project will only have a promising start if the implementing organisations are trustworthy, technically well-versed, committed to the people on the ground and capable of flexibility to solve problems that arise.
In addition, for long-term success, appropriate maintenance, management and financial schemes need to be implemented; these schemes must be effective and should focus on building local capacity and meeting specific local needs.
There is a solid basis of knowledge and expertise among energy practitioners on technical issues, business models, strategies for capacity-building and involvement of local actors. One critical question currently is how to leverage this know-how and expertise? How can we directly reach populations who still lack access to sustainable and reliable energy services?
The 2030 Agenda recognises the mobilisation and sharing of knowledge and expertise as crucial elements for supporting the achievement of the SDGs in all countries, and in the "Global South", in particular. In recent years, this has been the precise aim of the WISIONS SEPS Knowledge Exchange scheme.