WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Biogas Demonstration Unit For Sustainable Rural Energy Development in Argentina
News from WISIONS posted on May 7th, 2018
As in other countries, small rural communities in Argentina have a scarce supply of energy but have the potential to harness high volumes of biomass feedstock from their agricultural and livestock activities for bioenergy generation. In addition to emissions produced by using fossil fuels, waste disposal related to poor waste management practices is an associated environmental challenge.
Recently, they have successfully carried out the following activities:
- Creation of a cooperative: “Cooperativa de Servicios y Consumo Los Pinos Ltda." (responsibilities include waste classification)
- Training of people for the technical operation and maintenance of the biogas plant
- Design of feedstock management and storage (including construction of a predigestion chamber)
- Installation of a biogas plant with a potential power generation of 25 kW, as well as gas pipelines
Find more general information on this project on our SEPS project page: Biogas Demonstration Unit for Sustainable Rural Energy Development in the Humid Pampas of Argentina
Financing Renewable Energy in South East Asia: Insights From Practitioners
News from WISIONS posted on May 2nd, 2018
This knowledge exchange activity aimed to explore and share successful financial models, as well as to identify the specific factors that make different models relevant and replicable in their context. The main insights and lessons learned during the event are as follows:
- Renewable energy entrepreneurs and financiers greatly appreciated the workshop as it provided a unique opportunity to exchange insights and experiences with other stakeholders in the sector. The workshop was uniquely designed to cater to the attendees. The discussions and events specifically focused on identifying gaps in existing financial tools and specific barriers that limit access to finance in the region.
- Several region-wide trends were discussed during the conference. From the perspective of the entrepreneurs, challenges to accessing finance are often linked to the lack of flexibility of traditional financiers and the limited suitability of products offered. Entrepreneurs also identified a lack of awareness or understanding of existing financial options as an issue. From the investor perspective, the main barriers to providing finance to entrepreneurs include the entrepreneurs’ lack of financial literacy and a misalignment of risk and return expectations.
- Overall, the attendees were generally optimistic that financing options across the region would improve. Several successful and innovative financing schemes have been developed that can serve as models for replication in other locations and sectors. These schemes, and any new ones, would still have to be tailored to the specific geography and sector due to the inherent uncertainty in most developing regions. There is no doubt that additional capital is needed to continue supporting the work of energy entrepreneurs.
Following the event success, Nexus will continue to create opportunities for dialogue to foster mutual understanding and improved collaboration among like-minded entrepreneurs and financiers. Nexus will continue mapping and monitoring financing schemes for clean energy in the region and hopes to inspire innovation and, ultimately, to increase investment levels for the benefit of energy entrepreneurs working for the sustainable development of Southeast Asia.
Meet The WISIONS Team At The Sustainable Energy For All Forum in Lisbon, Portugal
News from WISIONS posted on April 26th, 2018
Leaders from government, business, civil society and international organisations will gather from 2-3 May 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal for the fourth Sustainable Energy for All Forum.
The 2018 Forum, “Leaving No One Behind”, will take place at a pivotal juncture for accelerating progress on global sustainable energy goals – under Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 7 – and the Paris Climate Agreement. At stake are significant populations that are missing out on education, health, jobs and broader economic opportunities because they do not have access to clean, affordable energy. Closing these energy gaps – especially for ‘last mile’ populations – is the Forum‘s imperative.
The agenda will focus on sharing the latest evidence of scalable innovations in providing electricity access, accelerating renewable energy and improving energy efficiency in all corners of the world. It will shine a spotlight on the urgency for bringing affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy to under-served populations, communities and regions that are at risk of being left behind in the global clean energy transition. These populations are especially vulnerable to energy poverty, climate impacts and other extreme economic challenges; yet they also lack a voice, finance and political capacity for changing their situation.
If you would like to attend, you may register here.