WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
A Biogas Demonstration Unit For Los Pinos, Argentina
News from WISIONS posted on September 3rd, 2018
As in other countries, small rural communities in Argentina have a scarce supply of energy but have the potential to harness high volumes of biomass feedstock from their agricultural and livestock activities for bioenergy generation. In addition to emissions produced by using fossil fuels, waste disposal related to poor waste management practices is an associated environmental challenge.
Recently, the project team successfully carried out the following activities:
- The "Cooperative of Supply of Services and Consumption Los Pinos Ltd." was established to produce, acquire, commercialise, transport and distribute feedstock for biogas production and provide other services for the successful implementation of a biogas demonstration unit (BDU). There was a particular focus on electing local women to occupy key positions on the cooperative’s board.
- The selection and training of personnel to operate, maintain and manage the BDU.
- The design and installation of a 25 kW demonstration biogas plant and associated gas pipeline mini-grid.
- Discussions on waste classification and how households and municipal authorities can properly sort and add value to their waste.
- The acquisition of feedstock for initial biogas production at the BDU, which will come from residues from a pig rearing facility (Lanpu S.A.) and a poultry farm (Por la Huella S.A.).
More general information on this SEPS project is available here: Biogas Demonstration Unit for Sustainable Rural Energy Development in the Humid Pampas of Argentina
Find more photos on our Facebook page.
New Project: Strengthening Open Source ELC Development In Southeast Asia
News from WISIONS posted on August 27th, 2018
Electronic load controllers are important in micro-hydro systems because they maintain the electrical specification within safe parameters through monitoring variable consumer demand and balancing it with the power generated by a turbine. While micro-hydro civil works, turbines, generators and transmission lines can be installed using locally available technical skillsets, ELCs require more specific and in-depth training to be correctly installed and maintained.
This SEPS exchange activity in cooperation with Green Empowerment, Tonibung and Sibat has two specific objectives: (1) to continue to build and strengthen local capacities around ELC installation and development; and (2) to further improve an existing open-source ELC design.
Read more details about the foreseen activites on our project website: Exchange: Strengthening Open-Source ELC Development in Southeast Asia.
2nd National Meeting Of RedBioEc, The Ecuadorian Biodigester Network
News from WISIONS posted on August 15th, 2018
The purpose of this meeting is to share progress and lessons learned and to strengthen networking and exchange among biodigester practitioners in Ecuador.
Read more about the network's recent activities (as part of one of WISIONS' SEPS projects): RedBioEc, The Ecuadorian Biodigester Network (July 17th, 2018).