WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Upscaling Strategy: Converting Banana Plant Waste to Cooking Fuel in India
News from WISIONS posted on April 20th, 2015
The first phase of this SEPS project was organised around the village of Gundigere, in the Ramanagara district of the state of Karnataka, India. The project had two major goals: to improve income opportunities and create access to clean energy for the local population. The project demonstrated the technical, economic and social viability of the applied concept. For more information on the final outcomes, visit: Value-addition to food crop processing: Converting banana plant-waste to cooking-fuel
After the successful implementation of the first project phase, WISIONS continues to support IEI in its aim to scale up the demonstrated concept in a second phase. The main objectives of the ongoing upscaling activities include:
- Replication of the project in other locations
- Demonstration that the benefits are replicable (e.g. increased harvests, increased income for farmers, use of a renewable energy source (biogas) and conservation of water use)
- Enabling access to clean fuel for small groups (families) in the rural population
Wind Datalogger Development Week in Toulouse, France
News from WISIONS posted on April 17th, 2015
The aim of this workshop, which is initiated by members of Wind Empowerment’s Measurement Working Group, is to build a logger to collect data from multiple sensors: an anemometer and wind vane to measure the wind speed and direction and a current/voltage transducer to measure the power produced by the turbine (for both on and off-grid systems). The data collected by this method will allow manufacturers, installers and users, as well as students, to better understand and improve the production of small wind turbines.
More information on the activities and events of the Development Week is available here: Wind Empowerment Development Week.
Details about the location of the workshop can be found here: Lîlegal.
There will also be a webinar on 24 April, where the team in Toulouse will summarise progress to date and answer any questions from the audience:
Friday, 24 April 2015, 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM GMT. You may join the meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone by following this link.
Alternatively, you may also dial in using your phone:
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412+1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 950-757-221
Meet the WISIONS Team at the Biogas Workshop 2015 in Oldenburg
News from WISIONS posted on April 13th, 2015
The Master Course Postgraduate Programme "Renewable Energy" at the University of Oldenburg will be holding its annual workshop on mass dissemination of domestic biodigesters in developing countries.
Topics covered in this workshop include:
- The biochemical anaerobic fermentation process
- Biogas for development and domestic biogas
- Biogas Plant Designs
- Plant functioning, dimensioning and proper sizing
- Appliances for domestic biogas (stoves, lamps and household use)
- Practical implications and lessons learned
- Programme functions, instutional framework and cost analysis (Investment & Revenue)
- Biogas in Carbon offset projects and GHG emissions