WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Meet the WISIONS Team at the ARE-RECP Off-Grid Investment Forum 2016
News from WISIONS posted on April 5th, 2016
ARE is hosting a one-day Energy Access Investment Summit at ING headquarters to bring together key decision makers as well as institutional and business representatives to develop business strategies.
This event aims to discuss market conditions and key policy and financial initiatives on existing and upcoming rural electrification business opportunities in developing and emerging markets. It offers a chance for interested participants to understand where the opportunities lie and how you can take advantage of them, while also creating the appropriate networks to get engaged.
The summit is open to the private sector, financiers, the (inter)national and European public sector representatives, business networks and CSO that would like
- to meet ARE members and partners; and
- to venture or to expand investment and operations in rural electrification and renewable energy markets.
International Conference on Renewable Energies in Rural Areas
News from WISIONS posted on February 6th, 2013
- the price developments of solar photovoltaic on the one hand, and oil and diesel on the other, have created a new recognition of - and enthusiasm for - renewable energies in developing countries.
- high subsidies for fossil fuels present a major obstacle to the uptake of renewables in many southern hemisphere countries.
- innovative business models are being developed in the sector of so-called Solar Home Systems (SHS). These models use mobile money as a payment tool and function without any external donor support.
- long-term financing models for renewable energies are a key element for the future development of renewable energies; however, such models do not yet exist.
- building national or even supranational regulatory frameworks for renewables seems to be a crucial driver to up scaling renewable energies in rural areas.
Rural Electrification Symposium in Colombia
News from WISIONS posted on January 12th, 2013
Experiences from other international (e.g. US-Aid, World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank) and national (e.g. the Colombian Institute for Electrification of Non-Connected Areas (IPSE)) organisations were presented. The importance of integrating local perspectives, knowledge and capacities in the different phases of a project or programme was a recurrent topic in most of the presentations.