WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
A Biogas E-Learning Platform For Latin America And The Caribbean
News from WISIONS posted on June 27th, 2018
Activities build upon the existing training materials offered by WISIONS' project partner CIBiogás, as well as including wider knowledge and experiences from RedBioLAC. The courses will be offered in a dynamic and interactive web learning environment by means of a Portuguese and Spanish language internet website offering a bilingual tutor and formal evaluation procedures to ensure knowledge transmission and teaching quality and to prevent students withdrawing from the courses. Courses have the purpose of introducing the issue of biogas in the Latin American and Caribbean context,
with a special focus on small scale biodigesters.
Recently, CIBiogás successfully concluded the following activities:
- Definition of course topics and detailed contents to be offered under the framework of this SEPS project
- Creation of educational documents for each course (the "Small Scale Biodigester" course is already being elaborated by one of the consultants
- Selection of consultants who will produce the course contents
The next steps include the digitalisation of course contents, the technical validation as well as the translation from Portuguese to Spanish language.
More general information on this SEPS exchange activity is available on our SEPS project page: "Biogas for Energy" – E-Learning Platform for Latin America and the Caribbean
Generating Biogas Energy From Wastewater In Barbados
News from WISIONS posted on June 21st, 2018
This SEPS exchange activity will train six renewable energy community ambassadors to undertake the critical task of educating communities in Barbados. It will provide training for the ambassadors through classroom workshops, technical sessions and site visits. The ambassadors, by interacting with citizens at community level and delivering public seminars and presentations, will engage with a broad spectrum of communities.
The selected community ambassadors recently began their community outreach work in an effort to reach their proposed number of participants and educate them about the potential benefits of renewable energy. Prior to this, they participated in various training activities and site visits across the island:
- A series of lectures on the principles of water and wastewater treatment
- Training on community health and safety at work (based on the relevant laws)
- Site visits to several wastewater treatment plants in Barbados to enhance their theoretical knowledge: Bowmanston and Golden Ridge Pumping Station; Bridgetown Sewage Treatment Plant and South Coast Sewage Treatment Plant
- Training in public speaking, personal interaction and communication, deisgned to enable the community ambassadors to systematically target their audiences, focus on people’s needs and educational level and tailor the information povided accordingly
More general information on this SEPS exchange activity is available here: Using Community Ambassadors for Community Exchange on Renewable Biogas Energy Generation from Wastewater for Sustainable Development
Wind Empowerment 2018 International Conference: WEIndia2018
News from WISIONS posted on June 13th, 2018
The deadline for applications is 30 June (if you are applying for a travel scholarship) or 31 August (if you do not require a travel scholarship).
This year’s conference is jointly organised by Wind Empowerment and the National Institute for Wind Energy (NIWE), India. It will be longer than previous conferences, spanning approximately two weeks: one week of training sessions and one week for the conference programme.
NIWE is offering full travel and conference scholarships to a limited number of international applicants who wish to participate in a one-month long course related to small wind rural electrification, which will include attendance at the WEIndia2018 conference.
The eligibility criteria for applying to NIWE’s scholarship are the following:
- Applicants must be available to join the two-week pre-conference workshop events, as well as the two-week conference. This means being in India for one month, from 15 November - 15 December 2018
- Applicants must have nationality from one of the eligible countries
- Applicants must have a working knowledge of English sufficient to follow the course
Wind Empowerment will try to provide scholarships (at least partial) to participants who do not fulfill the prerequisites above. However, if you are eligible and able to join the one-month course and conference events, do not miss this chance to apply. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.