WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Second WindEmpowerment Conference in Athens, Greece
News from WISIONS posted on May 2nd, 2014
Kostas Latoufis and the NTUA (National Technical University of Athens) have kindly offered to host the event in Greece. They have a wealth of facilities, including classrooms/lecture theatres for presentations, laboratory equipment for demonstrations (wind tunnel, an electrical bench testing rig and a test site on the coast) and workshop space for other practical activities. The programme will include practical workshops, round table discussions, presentations, laboratory demonstrations, field trips and much more. The event follows on from the inaugural WindEmpowerment conference that took place in Dakar in 2011.
The format is designed to bring together people and organizations from around the world who work with small wind turbines in the field of rural electrification. Participants are able to meet new people, learn new skills and share experiences.
More information is available on the website of WindEmpowerment..
WISIONS team participated in the BREG-MES 2014 Symposium
News from WISIONS posted on April 30th, 2014
The Symposium brought together practitioners and researchers to share experiences about innovative approaches for acheving equitable access to energy for the global poor and those on the margins of society. The programme combined keynote lectures, oral presentations of original research and case studies, poster presentations and panel discussions.
Over ten sessions some of the most relevant issues about decentralized energy alternatives were discussed in depth, such as the use of mini-grids for electric power, the provision of energy for cooking, demand assessment, project planning and governance, lighting services, microfinance and the productive use of energy.
Within this framework the WISIONS team had the opportunity to share and discuss insights from our recent research in two fields:
- The role of gender concerns in the planning of small-scale energy projects in developing countries
- The influence of the end users context on the dissemination of domestic biogas systems in developing countries
Some other presentations and further information on the event are also available on energypedia.
Viogaz - Alterna Exchange: "Maximizing the biodigestion process"
News from WISIONS posted on April 23rd, 2014
Joaquín Víquez is a biogas expert from the company Viogaz in Costa Rica. Joaquin visited Alterna in order to strengthen the technical capacities of Alternas' staff. The exchange comprised three main activities at various facilities like cattle/pig/chicken farms and slaughterhouses, as well as organic coffee plantations:
- A visit and technical supervision of existing plants and potential project sites within the department of Sololá and in the town of Salcajá, Quetzaltenango
- Conduction of the first meeting of biodigester operators in the region consisting of members of Alterna, and Viogaz, biodigestion system users and technical trading partners
- Intensive technical advice on characterization of effluents (both chemical and biological) for use in crop fertilization and appropriate follow-up and maintenance strategies of biodigesters