WISIONS of Sustainability
Our mission is to empower individuals and communities to transform the production and use of energy so that it effectively enables sustainable development. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Productive Uses For Wind Energy In Argentina
News from WISIONS posted on October 31st, 2018
The background that led our partners to think and implement this project is derived from previously executed projects where users of the Piggott wind turbine technology began to inquire about the possibility of applying electrical energy to local economic activities.
- Los Gigantes-Còrdoba: rural tourism
- Cholila-Chubut: small-scale livestock production and horticulture
- Corralito-Rìo Negro: poultry production
- Tonco-Salta: production of leather crafts
The following were considered for the selection: the demands coming from the territory, the long-term sustainability of the pilot tests to be implemented, research analysis on rural economies, the potential of replication and multiplication of experiences.
Recently, the following goals and activities have been achieved/completed:
- The characterisation of the local economic activities to be enhanced with the application of wind power in productive processes
- The identification and articulation of local actors that can contribute to the sustainability of the project
- A socio-technical analysis of potential direct beneficiaries
More general information is available on our SEPS project page: Productive Use of Wind in Argentina - Developing Rural Areas with an Abundant Resource
Join The Hydro Empowerment Network's Side Event At IOREC 2018 In Singapore
News from WISIONS posted on October 25th, 2018
The event is entitled Accelerating Financially Viable Hydro Mini-Grids: A Closer Look at Small-Scale Hydropower in S/SE Asia and will take place on 1st November from 12:45 until 14:00 at Level 4 of the Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Singapore.
Panelists at this event will be:
- Dr. Binu Parthan – principal at Sustainable Energy Associates (SEA), a global consulting and advisory company, with over 20 years of professional experience in financing, policy and technology aspects of clean energy and climate change
- Bir Bahadur Ghale – founder of Hydro Energy Concern Pvt. Ltd., with more than 25 years of experience in the micro/mini hydropower sector
- Dipti Vaghela – Network Facilitator and Manager of the Hydro Empowerment Network
- Bikash Pandey – Director of Clean Energy at Winrock International
- Kapila Subasinghe – Vice President of Specialized Project Lending and the Head of Consulting at DFCC Bank, Sri Lanka
- Adrian Banie Lasimbang – senator for the national government of Malaysia, representing the state of Sabah
- Tri Mumpuni – Executive director of the People Centered Business and Economic Institute (IBEKA)
- Rana Ghoneim – Chief of the Energy Systems and Infrastructure Division at the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Gerhard Fischer, who has over 35 years of professional experience in the development of hydropower
Improving The Sustainability Of Micro-Hydro Projects Through Knowledge-Sharing Tools
News from WISIONS posted on October 23rd, 2018
Over the last months, project activities generated the following progress:
- Grid Code and Standards: Based on a comprehensive review of existing codes and their usability gaps, the project team around TONIBUNG developed a set of standards that will later be developed into a smart phone app.
- Database of Service Providers: A list of MHP service providers in the region has been mostly developed and will go through one more review from Hydro Empowerment Network members to ensure all suppliers in the region are included.
- Load Indicator Device & Fabrication Manual: The aim is to create and document the design of a low-cost DIY load indicator device which MHP practitioners can provide to their communities. At this time, our project partners are assessing existing common devices and components to develop a custom device which any practitioner in the region could build at minimal cost.
- Other tools which are currently being developed include an interactive visual tool on electronic load controllers
All tools will eventually be applied to several MHP communities which TONIBUNG/CREATE will then interconnect into one MHP system.
Find more general information on this SEPS exchange activity here: Exchange: Improving the Sustainability of Micro-Hydropower Projects: Development of Knowledge-Sharing Tools