WISIONS of Sustainability
Our mission is to empower individuals and communities to transform the production and use of energy so that it effectively enables sustainable development. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Meet the WISIONS-Team in Berlin
News from WISIONS posted on February 15th, 2013
Cashew Processing on a Sustainable Basis in Dakoró, Burkina Faso
News from WISIONS posted on February 14th, 2013
In a later stage of the process, the kernel is dried using butane gas to neutralise its poisonous and corrosive oil. With support from SEPS in a project conducted by SNV, the heat produced by fuel wood and butane gas will in future be replaced by the gasification of cashew shells and the combustion of the resultant gas. For that purpose a gasifier and new driers, constructed by the Burkinan enterprise ISOMET, were installed. Once the unit has been fully modified, the process will use 100% renewable energies.
During the visit to the project by a WISIONS team member in November 2012, it was clear that the modification of the process was already in development. At the same time it became evident that some adjustments to the original design had to be made e.g. installing fans to increase the efficiency of the gasifier. However, it is possible to generate the electricity required to power these fans using photovoltaic panels.
These adjustments to the original project concept illustrate the importance of carrying out real experiments on a local level.
International Conference on Renewable Energies in Rural Areas
News from WISIONS posted on February 6th, 2013
- the price developments of solar photovoltaic on the one hand, and oil and diesel on the other, have created a new recognition of - and enthusiasm for - renewable energies in developing countries.
- high subsidies for fossil fuels present a major obstacle to the uptake of renewables in many southern hemisphere countries.
- innovative business models are being developed in the sector of so-called Solar Home Systems (SHS). These models use mobile money as a payment tool and function without any external donor support.
- long-term financing models for renewable energies are a key element for the future development of renewable energies; however, such models do not yet exist.
- building national or even supranational regulatory frameworks for renewables seems to be a crucial driver to up scaling renewable energies in rural areas.