WISIONS of Sustainability
Our mission is to empower individuals and communities to transform the production and use of energy so that it effectively enables sustainable development. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Conference participation on hydropower, climate change and the Sustainable Development Goals in Berlin.
News from WISIONS posted on May 8th, 2019
In the face of man-made climate change, more and more people are seeing the need to back out of the energy supply from fossil fuels. Now the question arises, which alternative energy sources can meet the world’s projected energy needs in order to meet the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and reduce carbon dioxide emissions while meeting the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
The International Hydropower Association (IHA) presents, as the lobby of the hydro industry, hydropower as a suitable alternative to electricity generation, especially in the global south. From 14 to 16 May 2019, the IHA will host the World Hydropower Congress in Paris to debate how hydropower can contribute to achieving the SDGs and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
The conference would like to bring together proponents and critics of hydropower in order to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of hydropower use for the SDGs and the Paris Agreement. The focus lies on human rights, social and ecological issues with the aim to develop criteria for a sustainable use of hydropower and to discuss how a sustainable energy supply for all could look like in the near future.
For more information about the participants :MISEREOR Conference: Hydropower, climate change and the Sustainable Development Goals
Our newsletter is out!
News from WISIONS posted on April 25th, 2019
Highlights in this issue:
• The kick-off webinar of the Mini-Grids Webinar Series 2019 of our partner HPNET, on the topic of ‚Mini-Grid Reliability’.
• Interesting insights of the WISIONS supported workshop and event on „Leveraging Innovative Finance Together“ (LIFT) of Nexus of Development in Myanmar from 26 – 27 February 2019.
⇒ One highlight of the workshop: The launch of the „Finance Solutions Map“ for Southeast Asia.
• WISIONS participated at the 5th ARE Energy Access Investment Forum in Abidjan
⇒ Get valuable impressions of our interesting exchange with participants from around the world in the context of accelerating rural electrification.
Maybe some interesting reading for the Easter days. Check it out!
Check out “The Flow” - latest newsletter of the WISIONS partner HPNET is out!
News from WISIONS posted on April 8th, 2019
The highlights in this issue among others:
- HPNET held a side event at the 4th International Off-grid Renewable Energy Conference and Exhibition (IOREC) in Singapore 2018 - this year's topic: 'Accelerating Financially Viable Hydro Mini-Grids.' Follow case presentations and a multi-stakeholder panel discussion in the video's.
- Interesting Video Tours available from three micro hydro training centers in Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines.
- Read more about HPNET's conducted Board Meeting and roundtable in the context of 'Hydropower for Community Empowerment in Myanmar'.
- Find out more about Sustainable and Inclusive Energy Pathways for Sarawak and Malaysia, the topic of the Clean Energy Collaboration Conference in March 2019.
- HPNET took part in three webinars with interesting topics in the context of Micro Hydro Power.