WISIONS of Sustainability
Our mission is to empower individuals and communities to transform the production and use of energy so that it effectively enables sustainable development. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
New Project: Demand-Side Solutions To Financing Sustainable Energy In Southeast Asia
News from WISIONS posted on October 5th, 2018
This new exchange activity builds on the 2017 event, “Financing Renewable Energy in Southeast Asia”, which was implemented in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Nexus for Development and supported by Wisions. The event was welcomed by entrepreneurs and financiers in the region as it provided the opportunity for entrepreneurs to exchange and access targeted information, make new connections and engage in networking activities offering real business opportunities.
Building on the success, experience and feedback from last year’s event, Nexus aims to organise an even more valuable knowledge exchange and to further support capacity-building among sustainable and renewable energy entrepreneurs in Asia in general and Southeast Asia in particular.
A workshop is planned to take place in Yangon, Myanmar at the end of
February 2019. This workshop will bring together 50 to 70 practitioners
(energy entrepreneurs, financial experts and finance providers) from
across Asia and Southeast Asia to:
- Facilitate dialogue and best practice exchange between entrepreneurs;
- Share updates on the mapping of financing schemes and build the financial capacity of participants;
- Facilitate coaching meetings between entrepreneurs and financiers; and
- Develop ‘model training’ materials and a training roadmap to ensure follow-up online training sessions after the event.
Second Edition Of RedBioLAC Magazine Now Available
News from WISIONS posted on September 28th, 2018
The magazine provides a broad picture of the most recent developments in biodigestion in Latin America and the Caribbean. It presents reports on applied research, case studies and practical information and was officially launched at the 10th RedBioLAC annual conference, which took place last week in Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil.
Download the magazine here (pdf, Spanish only): Revista Redbiolac 2018
A Community Energy Centre And Eco Sustainability Park In Independencia, Chile
News from WISIONS posted on September 24th, 2018
Independencia has a population of 800,000 living in an area of 7 km². A variety of initiatives are already in place to demonstrate renewable energy possibilities in the area; examples include the construction of solar kitchens and the installation of a hundred solar cookers.
It is envisaged that the Eco Sustainability Park will not only include the construction of the Community Energy Centre, but also a nursery school and a recycling centre. More than 10,000 inhabitants in the densely-populated local neighbourhood, primarily working-class, are expected to benefit from the services offered.
Recently, our local project partner (the Municipality of Independencia) carried out the following activities:
- The definition of a detailed baseline survey on criteria, including local energy consumption, waste generation, commercial activities and population development.
- The design of an innovative "Compact2" biodigester to be installed at the project site; once the system is up and running, training sessions on operation, maintenance and monitoring will be delivered.
- The calculation and quantification of environmental and economic benefits of the biodigester at the Community Energy Centre.
The project team has also presented their project at three "Climate Change Academies" in the Los Lagos, Antofagasta and Valparaíso regions. Read more about this here (Spanish only).
Next project steps include the installation of the biogas system and training sessions for future users and the local community, as well as the design and delivery of educational materials to be used at schools and universities.
Find more general information on our SEPS project page: Community Energy Center and Eco Sustainability Park in the Municipality of Independencia