WISIONS of Sustainability
Our mission is to empower individuals and communities to transform the production and use of energy so that it effectively enables sustainable development. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
WISIONS at Deep Dive Workshop on 17 June 2019 in Manila
News from WISIONS posted on June 11th, 2019
Renewable energy mini-grids are a cost effective and time efficient solution for energy access. Within the technologies available for mini-grids, micro and mini hydropower (MHP) has added advantages. Where resources exist, small-scale hydropower produces the lowest cost energy. Its techno-economic characteristics (e.g. lower levelized cost of energy, per kilowatt investment cost, and no need for energy storage) allow for economic viability with high social impact, including affordable tariffs, extensive productive end use, and viable grid interconnection. Because its hardware can be manufactured locally and maintained by local actors, MHP development imparts local skills, jobs and enterprise development. It also strengthens catchment areas and watershed protection, which in turn increases climate resilience and integrated development of rural communities.
In recent years, there has been a transition to innovative ownership, management and financing models for mini-grid development – where the income generated has been sufficient to ensure the financial viability and sustainable operations of small-scale hydro projects. The success has been achieved by a variety of enterprise-based models most appropriate for the local context, including among others, cooperatives and community-private partnerships. These approaches show evidence of improved bankability of MHP systems, with greater social and gender inclusion at the same time. The session discusses prospects for scaling, replicating and financing such proven enterprise-based approaches to small-scale hydropower in the Asia-Pacific region.
This DDW will provide development partners and professionals (both experts and generalists) the opportunity to understand recent innovative approaches to sustainable small-scale hydropower, in terms of economic viability and social impact. The session will feature key experts who have enabled enterprise- based hydro mini-grids in the Asia-Pacific region, drawn from a cross-section of government, private sector, NGOs, civil society and financiers.
The objectives of this DDW are to:
· Provide an overview of the types of ownership, management, financing, and integrated development models for enterprise-based hydro mini-grids, with examples from several countries in the region.
· Identify opportunities for scaling enterprise-based hydro mini-grids, both in terms of transitioning grant-dependent models to credit-financed enterprise models and also establishing new projects with enterprise-based approaches.
· Discuss solutions to overcome barriers to scalability of high social impact, enterprise-based small- scale hydropower, including building local institutional capacity and access to local and development financing.
· Explore the role of development partners and other stakeholders in strengthening knowledge services that enable partnerships to scale enterprise-based hydro mini-grids.
Find out more about the Workshop here: Deep Dive Workshop
Register now for the third RedBioLAC Webinar on 12th June 2019
News from WISIONS posted on June 3rd, 2019
The ABC Plan is an integral part of Brazil's nationally determined contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 37% by 2025 and 43% by 2030.
Through the Plan, the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply (MAPA) promotes the adoption of emission mitigating technologies, such as the treatment of animal waste.
In this webinar it will be possible to contextualize the ABC Plan and detail the Brazilian strategy to expand the treatment of animal waste through biodigestion.
Register here for the webinar: Register now! (The Webinar will be in Spanish only!)
More informations: RedBioLAC
Original in Spanish:
Los biodigestores en el Plano de Agricultura de Bajo Carbono de Brasil
Contribución del biogás para la consolidación de las metas de disminuir la emisión de carbono por medio del Plan ABC de Brasil
Ciclo de foros virtuales: Gestión sustentable de residuos orgánicos agrícolas y urbanos mediante la innovación tecnológica del biodigestor
El Plan ABC es parte integrante de la contribución nacionalmente determinada brasileña de reducción de la emisión del 37% de los gases de efecto invernadero hasta 2025 y 43% para 2030.
A través del Plan, el Ministerio de Agricultura, Ganadería y Abastecimiento (MAPA) fomenta la adopción de tecnologías mitigadoras de emisiones, a ejemplo del tratamiento de desechos animales.
En ese webinar será posible contextualizar el Plan ABC y detallar la estrategia brasileña para ampliar el tratamiento de desechos animales a través de la biodigestión.
April and May Activities of Fundacion EcoAndina
News from WISIONS posted on June 1st, 2019
(1) Pitch of their offgrid EcoSolar House to 250 interested people at the “Encuentros Proyectuales en el Territorio”conference organised by Colegio de Arquitectos de Jujuy on SolarEnergy. Link to original post: Facebook
(2) Participating at Instituto Inclusivo de Negocios MINKA in the course “Emprendimento global en Mercados emergentes”, aiming to boost the triple impact of entrepreneurs and organizations: environmental, social and economical. Link to original post: Facebook
(3) Development of internship opportunities for students in cooperation with the Economics Department of National University of Jujuy, which started this May with three interns who will connect their knowledge with SustainableEnergySolutions and expertise from EcoAndina Foundation.
More information about our partner: Fundacion EcoAndina
Find out more about the project: Exchange: Jujuy On The Path To Green Energy (SEPS16)